Tuesday 30 September 2014

The last honey harvest - so which honeys to use for mead

By the end of August i harvested 3rd and last time this year. The honey yield has been quite OK. First harvest resulted in 22.8 kg, second harvest 21.9 kg and finally third and last was 11.0 kg - a total of 55.7 kg from just one hive. Not bad! 2014 has been a good year.

I had bought a 20 L bucket instead of the 40 L which I have used  earlier since I try to collect several times during the summer and I will never have more than 25 kg after harvesting one magasin, which corresponds to 18-19 L. It is also more handy in small kitchens :o)

Below the third honey batch is transferred to the final container.

I reserved 7.4 kg of honey from the spring honey as described earlier and 2 x 7.2 kg from the summer honey so a total of almost 22 kg. The rest we are enjoying or selling - first come first served. This is all that is left from the first two batches ...


The mead I prepared last year has a strong acidic note to it, which can be directly traced to the honey used, but there was only one batch to choose from. This year I have selected the more smooth batches - spring and summer. The late summer batch has a strong sting to it so now I am wondering what the source is, so that I next year can harvest before this flower bloomes. The summer honey (clover and flowers) is just fantastic and the spring honey (fruit trees and early flowers) is a close second. The late summer honey is not fit for mead making in my opinion, but it is still great for eating, salald dressing, glacing etc. Mmmmmm. I will probably stir it untill it crystallizes as this should take some of the acidic sting out too.

No comments:

Post a Comment