Thursday 2 April 2015

2014 batch 2: Currant mead (13) - Not quite ready for bottling yet

The currant mead has now been standing for quite a while, and from several samples it looks clear. I decided to transfer it to a final glass fermenter from which I will bottle the mead.

I used my electric pump for the transferring which went well, but I was surprised to see how dark it actually is. I was expecting it to be more like a brownish rosé wine, but instead it was almost pitch black

After the transferring was completed, I added 5 L CO2 with my CO2 generator, to be to minimize the risk of oxidation now that the mead has been stirred up. 


Interestingly the mead take up some CO2 which can be seen on the airlock which shows a slight vacuum. 


Now, it the mead ready for bottling? I am not sure. I tried to shine a LED flash light through it to get an impression of the clarity, and it still does not look ready. 


And this is how the light looks through the flask...


It still looks slightly unclear, but perhaps I just need a stronger light source (?).

I will check up on the mead periodically to see if the clarity changes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment