Friday 20 May 2016

2015 batch 1: Cyser - Oaking again

The mead have just been standing in our living room and slowly clearing. I have tasted it quite a few times and the taste of oak is not really there anymore, so I decided to oak it again. But first I removed the precipitate from the bottom.

Now the only dis-advantage I have encountered with the fermenter is that you do not know the level of precipitate. So this time I collected the precipitate in a bottle to see how fast the liquid separates from the cell mass and what the ratio is between the two. I found that with a quick flush I collect a bit more than 1/4 of a liter, which I just poured into properly sized glass flask. I will leave the flask  for tomorrow and then I will see what it looks like.


Now, time for oaking. I figured I would use about half of what I used before, as I just want a little bit more oak taste. So 20 g was weighed into a "hop-sock" and the sock with oak was wetted for a few minutes. Then the water was removed and the wet sock was put in the microwave for 1 min. The I just added the sock to the fermenter

Now it is just time to wait - again

No comments:

Post a Comment