Tuesday 29 July 2014

Water content of the honey

I purchased a refractometer to measure the water content of the honey (RHB-90ATC). It is a cheap instrument and it is not that easy to calibrate. Never the less I got it done so that I was satisfied. I measured just 15% water in the honey which is just great - far from the critical level of 20%. If the water content becomes higher there is a significant risk of contamination of microbiologic organisms


Just for comparison I measured the water content og a commercial product. It was 19%. This also give me some certainty that the calibration is OK, since I would expect a commercial product to be as high in water content as possible so that there is more to sell from the same batch of honey. 

All I can say is "Buy honey from your local bee keeper and get more honey and less water!! "

No comments:

Post a Comment