Saturday 24 January 2015

2014 batch 3: Bochet (8) - Racking using pump

The Bochet has now been resting for quite a while, so it was time rack it to get rid of more sediment. For this purpose I tested my newly acquired pump.

I prepared the clean fermenter by pouring boiling water into it, and over the tubing going to the pump. I figured I would used the bottom part of my old racking cane to have a controlled distance to the bottom of the fermenter.

Then I attached the hoses to the pump and pumped the hot water out of the fermenter. I still needed to draw the water to the pump because it is not able to pull air. Finally, I just shook of the water out of the tubes and I was ready.

- Turn on the pump,
- Dip the tip of the racking cane into the Botchet,
- Suck the liquid to the pump
- Put the exit tube into the new fermenter
- and then just focus on the keeping the racking cane below the surface of the mead.


I set the power supply to 7.5V. Judging from the litre scale of the new fermenter, it took about 25s to move 1L which is about 2.3 to 2.4 L/min, which was just perfect.


Not much sediment was present in the bottom of the fermenter, so I will now leave it for maturing now. Next step will be bottling.

Cleaning the pump was done by pulling about a litre of boiling water through it, after removing the racking cane tip. Finally is pulled a bit of demineralised water through the pump and tubes because the water here is quite hard.

Was it easier? First of all I did not have to lift the full fermenter to a table and risk disturbing the sediment. For larger volumes it will hardly be a option to even move the fermenter. Hereafter, I think the work load was pretty much the same. One more advantage was that when I pull a bit of air into the racking cane, the flow did not stop, but the pump just pushed the bubbles through. My old racking cane would have stopped flowing right away. I also like that I can clean the pump with boiling water. My old racking cane cannot be cleaned in boiling water and need to be washed with detergents. All in all, I am very pleased with my new "toy".

No comments:

Post a Comment