Sunday 5 October 2014

2014 batch 1: Cyser (2)

It is Sunday evening, and it is exactly 1 week ago that I added the yeast to the cyser. Now the gravity was measured to 1.044. It started at OG = 1.116, so it has already dropped 0.072.

Last year I learned from experience that fermenting to 14% ABV lowers the gravity by something pretty close to 0.100. The sweet mead yeast has a max ABV of 15% so under optimum fermentation conditions the gravity should drop about 0.107. In that case my FG should end up at about 1.009, which means that I am 0.035 from my target FG or that the fermentation has progressed 2/3 in just one week :o)

I noticed that the time between bubbles in the airlock initially was about 2 sec. Now this time has increased to about 5 sec, so the the fermentation appears to be slowing down a little.

I am hoping that the fermentation will stop abruptly during just one day. That will be indicative of good fermentation conditions until the ABV ceiling is reached. Then we will see how close my estimates will be to the actual values........

No comments:

Post a Comment