Sunday 26 October 2014

2014 batch 2: Currant mead - SNA preparations

This time I will try to make a currant mead using the current juice I prepared this summer and have been storing in the freezer since (ref. HERE).

Secondly, I will try to keep the fermentation strong until the max ABV is reached by Staggered Nutrition Addition.

Basically there is not much else but glucose and fructose in the must. This means that if nutrients need to be added to avoid a sluggish fermentation. As far as I can find on the internet I need:
300 ppm of FAN/YAN
300 ppm of potassium.
and yeast nutrients in general.

For this I used Fermaid K and since I still have not been able to get DAP, I am using a mixture of monoammonium dihydrogen phosphate (or MAP) and monoammonium bicarbonate (MAC). MAC can also be purchased as the baking spice "Hartshorn" but be sure whether you purchase ammonium carbonate or ammonium bicarbonate. It appears that both are sold under the same name. Furthermore, DAP or MAC/MAP should not be added in high concentrations as it then becomes toxic to the yeast. The idea is to spread out the additions over several days and keep the concentrations at a consistent level for the major part of the fermentation.

As potassium source I used pot ash or potassium carbonate. This is also a quite basic compound so I decided to add it in a staggered fashion too so pH is not to high in the beginning and use it to raise pH a bit during the fermentation so that CO2 does not push pH too low. I cannot measure the content but based on the figures I can find on the web a general honey should contain about 200 ppm K+. In 20 L must that I intend to prepare the concentration becomes 53 ppm. Hence, I just need about 250 ppm to reach the 300 ppm needed.

I prepared a quite extensive spread sheet but in short the additions are as follows

day 1: 47 ppm N and 28 ppm K+
day 2: 64 ppm N and 57 ppm K+
day 3: 64 ppm N and 57 ppm K+
day 4: 64 ppm N and 57 ppm K+
day 5: 57 ppm N and 57 ppm K+
Total: ~300 ppm N and ~250 ppm K+

Or put in another way:

Total Fermaid K: 10g
Total MAP: 19 g
Total MAC: 13 g
Total pot ash: 9 g
i.e. total additions: 51 g

Everything added each day was weighed into 5 tubes (various amounts of Fermaid K, MAP, and MAC) and the tubes were labeled 1-5 so that it would be easy just to add one tube every day for 5 days



Finally I also prepared for an 800 ml starter with 33 ppm of N from Fermaid K only. Now I am ready to go.

I wonder if it is possible to add an Excel sheet to this blog for easy access...... Anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment