Friday 31 October 2014

pH meters - which one to buy

I have been looking at several blogs to see which pH meters were used by home brewers. It is a fantastic tool, but can also be quite expensive. Never the less I recommend that everyone with an interest in the details of how your wine, mead or beer develops to purchase a proper pH meter. But as always it is important to look around before you buy.

I came across 5 different brands with pH meters with products that could be used for home brewing. These were

Hanna Instruments
Milwaukee Instruments
Adwa Instruments
HM Digital and
Atago

Other brands are available on the web but as far as I know these are not available from danish suppliers. These are:
Omega (PHH-7011)
Hach (H series H160 or H170)
LaMotte (Tracer Pocket Tester)
.... (Let me know which ones I missed) ....


Hanna-, Milwaukee-, and Adwa- Instruments
Researching the web I made an interesting observation. Hanna, Milwaukee, and Adwa are very likely the same company. They all have office at EXACTLY the same address in Hungary. 
...Alsókiköto sor 11., H-6726 Szeged....
So if prices for these 3 brands are similar, it is not a surprise.  

It bothers me quite a bit that one company are giving the customer a sense of choice by producing different brand names but are in fact selling the same "crap in different wrapping".

So the choice was now down to HM Digital and Atago. 

HM digital
HM is a US company and their pH meters are produced in South Korea. They sell 2 different pH meters that are useful for home brewers:
pH 80 and
pH 200
The main difference is the resolution. pH 80 show results with one decimal and pH 200 with 2 decimals. 

Atago
Atago is a japaneese brand and sells only one pH meter - the DPH-2. This pH meter only has a resolution of 1 decimal. 

The Choice...
Hereafter it was quite easy for me to choose, and I purchased the pH 200 from HM Digital. As a bonus it was also cheaper than the "Hungarian Huddle" 


I will try it out for a while before reviewing it. As for now, it is fulfilling all expectations. 


No comments:

Post a Comment