Monday 11 January 2016

2015 batch 1: Cyser - Oaking

Today I added toasted oak to the mead. From last year (see HERE) I have the American oak, medium toast, which I will use again.

I opened the fermenter to check the volume - just below 40 L. So last year I used 25 g for about 20 L, so 50 grams were weighed out in a "hop sock"



The sock was then closed with a knot. I tied about 50cm of sewing string to the sock, which I will attach outside of the fermenter. Initially the sock will float but sink once the wood gets saturated with mead.

To sterilize, I let the oak and sock soak for a few minutes in COLD water, lifted the sock and let it drip before I put it in a microwave container. Heating for 1 min at full power was enough for the steam to develop.



Then I just carried the bag to the fermenter and dropped it in. The strings was attaced to the handle on the outside. It is so thin that it should not leave marks in the silicone seal in the lid.



As last time to took a sample of the mead prior to adding the oak just to have a taste reference of the mead before oaking. That just makes it easier to evaluate the effect.

Now it is just time for waiting and tasting till I think it is OK. I assume 2-3 weeks will do it, but I will rather stop a bit prematurely and eventually add more oak than get to the point where I realize that too much oak has been added - better safe than sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment