Wednesday 3 December 2014

2014 batch 3: Bochet (2) - Fermentation start

Ingredients

Sweet Mead Wine Yeast (WLP 720)
144 g of spring honey
10.25 g of Fermaid K
18 g og MAP and 12 g of MAC
    (Corresponding to 10 g of DAP)
10 g of Potash (K2CO3)
and of cause the 19+ L of Bochet must :o)

Initially the yeast was taken out of the refrigerator so that it could warm up for minimum 3 hours before being used.

As you might have noticed I saved some of the honey used for the bochet. This was for an yeast activator to prepare for fermentation. The 144 g of honey was dissolved in 800 ml of boiled water and the solution was covered and cooled to room temperature in the refrigerator. When the yeast was ready, 0.25g og Fermaid K was added, and the beaker was placed om my magnetic stirrer. The yeast was then added, and the beaker was covered.

I set it up Friday night and planned spiking the starter/activator to the bochet must Saturday night. Friday was also the day I did the "burning" of the honey.

Again I will use a SNA scheme to spike the nutrients. Though, I changed the SNA to 4 days instead of 5 because my currant mead had fermented so fast that I did not get to add the fifth aliquot. (See HERE and HERE). Otherwise the setup was pretty much the same:

1) Initially high addition of Fermaid K and slow decrease
2) Initially low addition MAC/MAP and then increasing
3) Initially low addion of potash (base) and then increasing as CO2 levels (acid) go up 

In total I am adding:
281 ppm YAN
283 ppm Potassium
(See scheme in the next post)

Saturday night I did the standard measurements on the bochet must. It had an unpleasant thick dark foam covering the surface that has to be scraped aside to do the measurements:


Oe: 1.114 degree - bit low compared to expected 1.120 degreee
pH: 4.45 (no nutrients added) - bit low due to caramelization
Temp: 23C - super

Pink solution is the reference - pH 4.0. SNA aliquots in vial with blue lid. Beautiful color of the Bochet mead to the right :o)

All ready to go. I added the first aliquot of my SNA scheme, then the yeast activator and gave the fermentor a great big stir before sealing it.

I use the sieve to catch the stirrer magnet

When will I hear the first bubble in the airlock.......can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment