Monday 15 December 2014

2014 batch 3: Bochet (6) - ....and removal of blackberries

Today (monday the 15th of december) I removed the berries from the mead again. They have now been extracted for a good week. The small chucks of berries now look pale and mushy, so I do not think I will get much more fruit taste extracted into the mead.


The taste is quite interesting. You can taste the berries but not so much the burned honey, except in the aftertaste. It does have some acidity due to the berries but it is not bad - just not really smooth. But this one thing long term storage will do for you :o)

The fermentation appeared to have completely stopped, and the mead was clearing, but after removing the berries the fermenter started to pressurize and the airlock began to bubble (?). I think disturbing the mead it started to degas rather than restarting to ferment.

Measurements are as follows
Oe: 16
pH: 3.64 (could very well be over-saturated with CO2)

The Oechsle value is a bit low and I would like to back sweeten the mead to 20-25 degrees. pH is low but still OK. I think it will go up a bit if the fermenter is degassing, and then it should be perfect.


No comments:

Post a Comment